FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail Evansville’s DoughboyAfter the First World War, doughboy statues were erected in many American communities to honor the soldiers, nicknamed “doughboys,” who had served. Evansville’s statue was formally dedicated in Sunset Park on November 11, 1928, a gift of the Kiwanis Club of Evansville. For years, the seven-foot doughboy stood on a large mound in the park; it was washed away in the flood of 1937 but eventually found. In the early 1960s, the restored doughboy found a home at American Legion Funkhouser Post No. 8 on New Harmony Road.